Hello fellow paddlers!
We are all very keen to return to club activities. The club committee has been working on a plan to re-instate activities guided by Scottish Government recommendations and Scottish Canoe Association (SCA) guidelines. We await further guidance from SCA since the most recent relaxation of COVID restrictions by Scottish Government on 24.06.2020. Here’s where we are so far: 

There is very restricted access to Loch Lomond for the foreseeable future: car parks closed, no toilet facilities, launch sites inaccessible, very limited access to container. Our future access will be guided by Park Rangers. Unfortunately this means it is unlikely that there will be any Tuesday night sessions on Loch Lomond over summer. 

Phase 2 (current phase)Notifying club members: Information about the club’s response to easing of restrictions will be posted on the website and on Facebook, as well as contact by email. 

Trips: Future club-related trips will be posted on the DCKC website calendar and members will be requested to sign up. Hopefully more activity will be possible in Phase 3 – we shall have to wait and see. On a positive note, we hope to run a couple of very local ‘pilot’ trips over the next few weeks. However, trips are currently limited by group size (3 households), travel distance (5 miles – although this will change on 3rd July). In the initial stages, the focus of trips will be skills-based, aiming to ‘Get back to paddling’. There will be no additional Whatsapp peer group trips because of the difficulty of managing access to kit and possible congestion at the very limited ‘local’ launch sites. 

Decontamination of kit: according to SCA guidelines, kit needs to dry and then be left in the container for 72 hours to decontaminate. So, assuming that these conditions can be met, we will only be able to access the container on one day at the weekend for club trips. Club equipment cannot be borrowed out with this time as the equipment will be decontaminating. Unfortunately, that means there can be no peer trips unless using your own equipment. 

Protection: we must adhere to 2m recommendations at all times: at the launch site, on the water and at the container. This will prove challenging in particular managing kayaks into and out of the container as well as issuing soft kit. The club will provide hand gel at the container but members are expected to provide their own masks and gloves.

Safety: assisted rescue after capsize is problematic due to 2m recommendation and a last resort. It is therefore essential that we are able to self-rescue as far as possible. This could mean getting out the boat and making for the shore or refreshing self-rescue skills. 

Most Important – In accordance with national guidance, if any club member has symptoms of Covid-19 (new persistent cough, and/or fever, and/or change/loss of sense of smell or taste), they must self-isolate at home; seek testing via NHS Inform; and NOT attend club events.  They must also self-isolate at home and not attend club events if anyone in their household has these symptoms, or if they have been in contact with someone with confirmed Covid-19 and have therefore been advised to self-isolate by NHS Test & Protect (contact tracing service).

Fees: There will be no fees collected for club trips and use of club kit during phase 2 or 3. We are still working on preparing leaders / coaches for organising trips, procedures for maintaining hygiene measures at Miller St container and on trips, key holder responsibilities, club calendar. There is much to do! We will keep you posted.
Any questions or comments, please contact a members of the committee.
Stay safe!

Leave a Reply